Screening symbols for both a MACDDiff zero cross and a CCI Overbought/Oversold cross on the same bar
A Gold Pass member asked how to screen a universe of symbols (stocks or commodities) for those that had a MACD and CCI cross condition on the same bar. The TradeStation scanner is a powerful tool with which to do this sort of analysis.
In this tutorial I explain how to set up the scanner to apply these two indicators on two different intervals and to do the analysis.
There are several ‘gotchas’ that you need to be aware of when using the scanner. See the following box:
- Make sure that you load enough additional bars to enable the calculation to be consistant with the chart
- In TradeStation Preferences make sure the the session is set to what you need it to be (see the video for more details). This is the Session that the scanner will use.
- Make sure that on the charts, bar building is set to session hours
- Scanner does not support indictors that need additional data streams
- The scanner calculates up to the last completed bar
- If you display indicator values, you can only do so to 2 decimal places
Areas covered in Tutorial 129
The tutorial demonstrates how to:
- Set up a scan and add indicators
- Create a universe of symbols to scan
- Check the default session details
- Use print statements
Video explanation of _Tutorial129
Please let me know if you spot any mistakes or errors or have questions.
THESE INDICATORS, SHOW ME STUDIES, STRATEGIES AND OTHER PROGRAMS HAVE BEEN INCLUDED SOLELY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.
TO THE BEST OF MARKPLEX CORPORATION’S KNOWLEDGE, ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS CORRECT, AND IT IS PROVIDED IN THE HOPE THAT IT WILL BE USEFUL. HOWEVER, MARKPLEX CORPORATION ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, DIRECT OR OTHERWISE, RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS INFORMATION AND/OR PROGRAM(S) DESCRIBED, AND NO WARRANTY IS MADE REGARDING ITS ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS. USE OF THIS INFORMATION AND/OR PROGRAMS DESCRIBED IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
ANY EASYLANGUAGE OR POWERLANGUAGE TRADING STRATEGIES, SIGNALS, STUDIES, INDICATORS, SHOWME STUDIES, PAINTBAR STUDIES, PROBABILITYMAP STUDIES, ACTIVITYBAR STUDIES, FUNCTIONS (AND PARTS THEREOF) AND ASSOCIATED TECHNIQUES REFERRED TO, INCLUDED IN OR ATTACHED TO THIS TUTORIAL OR PROGRAM DESCRIPTION ARE EXAMPLES ONLY, AND HAVE BEEN INCLUDED SOLELY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES. MARKPLEX CORPORATION. DOES NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE ANY SUCH TRADING STRATEGIES, SIGNALS, STUDIES, INDICATORS, SHOWME STUDIES, PAINTBAR STUDIES, PROBABILITYMAP STUDIES, ACTIVITYBAR STUDIES, FUNCTIONS (OR ANY PARTS THEREOF) OR TECHNIQUES. THE USE OF ANY SUCH TRADING STRATEGIES, SIGNALS, STUDIES, INDICATORS, SHOWME STUDIES, PAINTBAR STUDIES, PROBABILITYMAP STUDIES, ACTIVITYBAR STUDIES, FUNCTIONS AND TECHNIQUES DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL MAKE PROFITS, INCREASE PROFITS, OR MINIMIZE LOSSES.